learn in three days
how to distill essential oil from herbs !
- 10th – 12th June 2022
- 23rd – 25th September 2022
4,900 THB, food & accommodation included!
What is Essential Oil Distillation?
Essential Oil Distillation is a process to extract essential oil from herbs using distillation process. Steam distillation is the most common method to extract essential oil from herbs/plants. In steam distillation process there usually two types of outcome products from the process which are essential oil and hydrosol. Essential oil is concentrated extract in form of oil. Hydrosol is a by product from the process which also have multiple uses to it.
why Essential oil distillation?
Essential oil distillation give high value product outcome which is essential oil and hydrosol. these two types of products have multiple use and can be sold for much higher value than fresh material itself. The essential oils are used in many natural products remedies especially in cosmetic or use it for aromatherapy. The distilled oil also can be stored for years with right storage conditions.
Gaia Ashram's essential oil distillation workshop
Gaia Ashram Essential Oil Distillation Workshop based on our knowledge learned from our teachers and our own experiences on distilling essential oils, using steam pot and firewood to fuel it. Our experience is very specific on this system. We do not have experience distilling essential using other systems. This system that we have been practicing is good for those with low investment, require low technology, and need human to closely monitor it. However, this system can be managed with one person.
to whome this workshop is for?
- farmers who want to add values to their crops by stilling for oils
- farmers who want to produce natural pesticide spray from herbal hydrosol
- small scale entrepreneur
- permaculture farmers
- those who like essential oils and want to know how to produce their own essential oils.
- anyone who wants to know how to distill for essential oil or hydrosol
what this workshop will cover?
- understanding of steam distillation principles and methods
- understanding the set up for steam distillation, using firewood as fuel for the steam, the steam pots, the condensers, the containers to harvest the oil and hydrosol
- how to prepare the herbs to distill. what herbs can be distilled, when and how to harvest and prepare the herbs
- how to distill and how to monitor the distilling process
- how to separate the essential oils from the hydrofoil
- how to keep/store essential oils and hydrosol
- how to use essential oil and hydrosol
daily schedule of the workshop
14.30 : 16.30 : Introduction, introduction of extraction equipments
and oil extraction system
16.30 – 18.00 : Gaia Ashram Tour
18:30-19:00 : Quiet time/ Meditation
19:00 – 20.00 :Dinner
6:00 – 7:15 : Yoga
7:30 – 8.30 : Breakfast
8:45 – 12.00 : harvesting and preparing herbs e.g. lemongrass,
citronella, kaffir lime, galangal
(depending on season).
12:30 – Lunch
14:30 – 17:30 : how to set up a distiller,
how to control a distiller and heat,
how to use essential oils e.g.
massage oil, air freshener, shampoo,
18:00-18:30 Quiet time/ meditation
6:00 – 7:15 :Yoga
7:30 – 8.30 : Breakfast
8.45 – 12.00 : how to separate oil from distilled water,
how to preserve oil and distilled water
14:30 – 16:30 : Ways to use distilled water/ Q&A session
Wrap up/ End the workshop
Food & Accommodation
Included in the fee is accommodation in our dormitory, 3 vegetarian/vegan meals per day, as well as yoga, dance, and meditation. We also have private accommodation available that can be booked for an additional fee.
- Accommodation: Dormitory, hostel style. Mosquito nets, cushions, bedding, and blankets are provided.
- Private rooms for an extra fee (big room 350 the/night) for course duration depending on availability at the time, Ideal for couples and/or small family). Small Room is 200 THB extra/night. Please choose your preferred accommodation in the registration form.
- We serve vegetarian/vegan meals three times a day.
toilets & showers
We use common toilets. there is no private toilet. At Gaia Ashram we use dry compost toilet system and vermicomposting toilet systems. Both toilets systems help to turn our human waste into valuable resource as compost.
We have common showers. There are close door showers and open roof/outdoor showers.
how to register
if you are interested to join our program, please send your email inquiry to email@example.com stating the name of the course and the dates of the program. We will then send information for payment and what to prepare for the course.