Gaia Ashram Permaculture Design Certificate Course
14th of October – 4th November 2018
Join us on this three weeks life changing journey at Gaia Ashram and become part of the growing tribe of people that are creating regenerative positive change for the benefit of the Earth and all beings. Gaia Ashram is a sustainable living center & a farm founded in 2013 with a vision to create a living & learning space that deepens our spiritual connection with nature. This Permaculture Design Course (PDC) covers the core of the Permaculture Design curriculum and this Permaculture course will emphasize on creating diverse multi-functional human landscapes inspired on the patterns of nature.
What is Permaculture?
Permaculture is a design system that reconciles human communities with the ecological imperatives of a living planet. Permaculture is a way of organizing knowledge, a connecting systems that integrates science, art, politics, anthropology, sociology, psychology, and the diverse experiences and resources available in any community.
What is a Permaculture Design Certificate course?
A PDC is an internationally-recognized, 72-hour theory course resulting in a Permaculture Design Certificate. It provides an introduction to permaculture design as set forth by movement founder Bill Mollison. The PDC serves as a foundation for further permaculture work and study and is a prerequisite for the Diploma in Permaculture Design, offered through The Permaculture Institute and Gaia University . Credit for this course is now accepted by a growing number of universities around the world.
To date, thousands of permaculture designers worldwide have been certified through this course, and now comprise a global network of educators, ecological activists, consultants and practitioners who are influencing the decisions of major corporations, small business and people from all walks of life to change the way we view and design our landscape, our surroundings, our relationships and our daily lives so we can grow the revolution that our planet needs.
The course will include a broad range of topics applicable to life anywhere on this planet, it will be tailored to the needs of the students present as well as the location at hand. We will cover every major topic in Bill Mollison’s Permaculture: a Designers Manual in the classroom and also in the gardens. The course curriculum is as follows:
The following topics will be discussed in class:
- Philosophies and Ethics underlying Permaculture
- Permaculture principles & how to apply them in your day today life.
- Patterns in Nature and how to use that in holistic design
- Methods of design. How to apply permaculture design tools and strategies to your design problems. How to increase your chance on a successful design by following a well defined design methodology.
- Climactic factors and strategies. We will cover all the major climates and how to work with them.
- Trees, forests and Forest gardening. How to mimic natural forest systems to create an abundance of food, fiber and fodder.
- Water: catchment, usage, importance, and conservation.
- Soil structure, minerals, microorganisms, building new soil and preventing erosion. Learn to work with the soil food web to create a healthy ecosystem and regenerate degraded land.
- Earthworks. Shaping the land to reap the rewards of mother earth and create positive effects on ecological systems
- Natural Building. How to build beautiful, spiritually uplifting homes using locally resourced natural materials.
- Alternative systems. Community living and other ways of living differently that works well for people and the planet. Bioregional organization, community development, alternative economic systems, permaculture as aid
Gaia Ashram Permaculture Design Course
This Permaculture Design Course will be held in the spirit of Gaia Ashram where community living is the foundation of the learning. Like every program held at Gaia Ashram, we will build a sense of community among all the course participants and the people who live at Gaia Ashram. There will be space for skillshare, deep sharing and well being check – ins. Course participants are welcome to join the daily meditation & yoga/dance. Gaia Ashram and the land are a living experiential classroom, classes will mix lectures, hands-on work and in the style of Gaia Ashram there will be time for us to connect to Nature and the land on a deeper level.
- Ecovillage living & Ecovillage Design : We will receive an introduction on Ecovillage Design & Ecovillage movement as Gaia Ashram is part of the bigger global ecovillage movement.
- Holistic Worldview & Deep Ecology : We will learn what is a holistic worldview and why a holistic worldview is important and Introduction to Deep Ecology.
Who is this course for?
- Anyone interested in living a more sustainable lifestyle, creating health and well-being for their community, and working towards an abundant, ecologically responsible future
- Backyard gardeners
- Farmers and agriculturalists
- Landscape designers seeking a more sustainable dimension for their work
- Environmental Studies students
- Homeowners who want to invest in the long-term productivity of their property
- School garden organizers
When is this PDC taking place?
14th October – 4th November 2018
Where is this taking place?
Gaia Ashram, Nong Khai
Ben is an Ecological designer, consultant and teacher with a background in organic and biodynamic gardening / agriculture, natural building, horticulture & landscape architecture. Ben is the founder of Holistic Regeneration, has 20 years experience in the realm of Horticulture and has been consulting, practicing and teaching permaculture, organic gardening and natural building for almost 10 years in England, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Kenya and India and is currently working as an itinerant trainer of transformational and empowering workshops and courses.
A great lover of the natural world and deep ecology; Ben is often heard expressing his gratitude and deep appreciation for his “thousands of Gurus”, which he sees as the multitudes of beings; Plants and animals which he loves to observe and which help to give him insight and inspiration in his daily work.
He loves community living, natural building and is most often to be found with his hands in the earth working in the plant realm. Ben is passionate about applying permaculture design to every element of life and believes in being the change we wish to see in the world.
Sam started practising permaculture in 2008 when he went to help out at a friend’s new project ‘La Courdemiere’ in Poitiers, France. It was there where he first experienced natural building and he was immediately struck by how relatively easy and cheap it could be to create beautiful, healthy homes. Afterwards he moved to the ‘Panya Project’, a permaculture education centre in Northern Thailand. He stayed here, on and off, for many years, experimenting with the many aspects of permaculture including animals, water, forest gardening, community living, natural building, and fermentation and preservation, to name a few of particular interest to him. Since then he has lived, worked at, and taught at projects all over Europe and Asia across many different climates and cultures.
And the Gaia Ashram team! see who we are here….
What are the fees?
660 Euro – dormitory
690 Euro – Shared room
720 Euro – Single room
The fee include teacher fee, accommodation and three vegetarian meals.
Email us a motivation letter why you want to attend the course, then sign up and pay your registration fee through Eventbrite link. We will send you Registration form to fill in your personal information along with information package for your preparation to participate in the course. Then you are booked!
please send your inquiry to email@example.com and pay your registration fee here :
This course requires a minimum of 10 participants. We ask people to book and pay the deposit of 100 Euro before 10th September 2018. As soon as the minimum number of 10 participants is reached we will confirm that the course will take place. In case there are not enough participants signing up, we will announce the cancellation of the program by 14th September latest. If Gaia Ashram has to cancel the program, the paid deposit of 100 Euro will be fully refunded.
In case a participant cancels his or her participation in the program, the deposit of 100 Euro can not be refunded.
Facilities: Gaia Ashram provides basic facilities and the basic needs of participants will be met.
Accommodation: Dormitory, shared rooms and single rooms. Mosquito nets, cushions, bedding and blankets are provided.
Common Space for sessions: Indoor session will be held at the first floor of Gaia Sala & the Mini-Sala and practical session will be happening on the land.
Toilet and Shower: compost toilets and showers for men and women.
Internet: Internet Shop in the next village is usually available everyday. We have a few bicycles available. We will provide trip to internet on Sundays.
Food: Healthy local vegetarian food will be served by local cooks. Participants will team up to cook breakfast in turns and on Sundays there is the space for participants to also cook lunch and diner.
Gaia Ashram’s policy on drugs & alcohol
We allow no alcohol or drugs on the Gaia Ashram property. We ask people to smoke at the smoking corner only. This will help to provide healthy environment for learning and living together. We encourage people to take this as an opportunity to have a break from their smoking or drinking.
Any further information you need about this course, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Gaia Ashram please take a look at these media;
To read more about what permaculture is and why you should get excited about taking your PDC, please read though some of the website below:
Fair Share – People Care – Earth Care