5 day curriculum
Principles and Background
For many generations and thousands of years, humans have learned how to use their local resources to meet their needs. They have built their knowledge from trial and experience, passing on their knowledge and genetic material (herbs) to other communities and future generations. It is from this rich collective experience that traditional medicine has reached us. While Ayurveda and Chinese traditional medicine may be the most recognized schools of medicine with the greatest literature, every culture develops their own medicine. Thai traditional medicine is another rich school that also shares and draws some from its neighboring Chinese and Indian schools but with its own unique qualities.
With the rapid arrival and rise of modern medicine, these 1000 years of knowledge and practice using herbs and other techniques for treatment have been undervalued, often discarded, and sometimes lost. While generations of experience holds no less validity that modern science, modern scientific research has also proven the efficacy of herbal medicine. In Thailand, thankfully in the last 20 + years there has been increasing recognition and interest in Thai traditional medicine and the power of herbs to treat many ailments. In terms of the current epidemic of chronic disease and pain coming from modern diet, lifestyle, and habits, traditional medicine appears to have much better tools to resolve these problems at their root. Also with the modern arsenal of antibiotics rapidly disappearing, herbs may be the only viable solution in the future for treatment of many diseases.
Thai traditional medicine is also in balance with the local ecology and culture. Families and communities can grow, harvest, process, and use herbs to meet many of their basic health needs. Whereas once every elder had a decent knowledge of herbs, now this knowledge is not being passed on, and when the knowledge is not clear, critical details may be lost. This course aims to help develop very basic proficiency in home herb use and Thai traditional medicine technique. Helping develop a degree of self-reliance for families in terms of growing and using locally available herbs to treat their health needs.
- To learn about how to use herbs to care for oneself and family
- To build confidence in one’s ability to choose which herbs to use
- To empower those joining the course to be able to use this knowledge to apply in their own lives
- To help preserve and promote traditional wisdom on the use of herbs for self and family care
- Lectures on the theory of Thai medicine
- Hands-on practice in the use of Thai herbs. Breaking out into small groups when appropriate, all participants should have hands-on time to develop their familiarity and confidence
- Exchange of knowledge and experience between those joining and facilitating the course
Areas of Study
- The basic theory of Thai medicine- elements
- Taste of herbs as an indicator of pharmaceutical properties
- Use of herbs for maternal health before and after giving birth
- Herbs that are easy to find and use to care for one’s own health
- Simple Thai massage techniques
- Growing, caring for, and harvest of herbs (focusing on a few key Thai herbs that are easy to grow and use.)
- Herb processing techniques for use and benefit.
Those interested in developing a basic competency in using locally available herbs in the Thai/ Southeast Asian context for their health. Maybe those who practice ecological self-reliance, holistic health, integrated farming, etc.
Food & Accommodation included รวมอาหารและที่พัก
more information please contact ติดต่อสอบถามข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมได้ที่